"Your love of Liberty, your respect for laws, your habits of industry and your practice of the moral and religious obligations are the strongest claims to national and individual happiness." - George Washington
One of my "mom goals" this year has been to deliberately teach my love of this country to my children. I am so grateful to live in a country where we have FREEDOM, and the liberty to SPEAK and VOTE for what we know to be true.
I've begun with the basics. It's simple conversations intermixed in our drives. An occasional quote. Sharing something I love specifically about our country.
For President's Day, I chose to focus on George Washington. A brief story from his life, and quotes throughout the day. Since we couldn't make it to Mt. Vernon, we opted for the state Capitol. They loved seeing the big building. My oldest, who's been on a tour through the building for school, had fun telling his younger sisters about things inside (we stayed outdoors). Overall, I call it a win, and am marking it as a new tradition!
"We should not look back unless it is to derive useful lessons from past errors and for the purpose of profiting by dearly bought experience." - George Washington
No comments:
Post a Comment