Friday, March 30, 2018

Disney World Part 4 - Animal Kingdom


Our last day we headed to Animal Kingdom. Wow! So awesome to see how they integrated nature and wildlife through out the park!

Favorites there were: the safari, expedition Everest, Dinosaur and the raft ride - where max was in the spot to get soaked! Abigail and I watched a Finding Nemo musical and it was simply fantastic to see the detail of those shows! We wrapped up this day early enough to head home before it was too late!

Looking back on this experience, keeping track of everyone, planning for the unknowns, and simply not knowing where or what to expect can feel overwhelming. I wanted to document a few tools I've been using in everyday life that I found helpful in a higher sensory experience. They helped me shift away from "overwhelm" and back into the present.

There were a few times I was in line for a ride thinking "oh - if we had gone to this other spot, we would have been able to do .... differently!" My natural self would get stuck in this train of thought, and I'd beat myself up for making the "wrong choice." Instead of staying in this train of thought, as soon as I became aware of what I was thinking, I re-centered myself back into the NOW by breathing. Inhaling and counting to four, pausing, exhaling counting to six, pausing. This mindful breath was huge for me to practice being present again. As I would breathe, I would look around and notice the details of where we were, express gratitude, and intentionally find a way to connect more deeply with the moment. It enabled me really enjoy who I was with and let go of the worry of "missing out" or "not enough." It enabled me to disconnect from the "perfect scenario" in my mind (that really doesn't exist), and reconnect with what matters most. I found myself smiling and laughing more and embracing the flow so much easier.

It was also helpful to let go of labeling experiences. My perception is often based on my perspective, and the broader I can take that perspective, the more balanced I feel. I practiced this often. And found I was better able to laugh over a situation rather than get angry or worried over it.

And a couple things we just keep laughing over (probably had to of been there to find the humor, but these will be fun to look back on!):

"Hello...do you have any space shuttles taking you to the Magic Kingdom?"

"How many are in your group?" "6." "Oh, sorry. We only have room for 5. We'll be back to your group of 6 the next time around."






















No comments: